Thursday, September 15, 2011

DIY Framed Chalk Board



I've been wanting a cute framed chalk board for a while now, but getting one the size I wanted was expensive! So I figured it was the perfect time to make my own. 

Claire and I took a little trip to goodwill and found this lovely treasure
I know what your thinking, "That is the most beautiful frame I've ever seen! Look at the faux gold trim!"

Okay, maybe not, but I loved the texture around the edges of this frame and it was a great size, so I whipped out my $7.00 and took this bad boy home.

Then we took a little family trip to the Home Depot for some painting supplies. 
Here's what you'll need for this project:

Paint 
(2 Colors, one for the frame and one for the chalk board. Make sure your chalk board paint is a latex flat finished paint. I chose an eggshell finish for my frame)
I used the small paint samples, and those has plenty of paint. And bouns: They're only $2.59!

Un-sanded grout

A board for you chalk board 
(my frame only came with glass but if yours already has a board feel free to paint that!)

150 Grit Sandpaper

A cute baby to help you shop :)

Next came the painting! This is actually the part where I should recommend you buy spray paint for your frame if you can. They didn't have the color I was looking for so I bought regular paint instead. Because my frame had so many little grooves in the design, it look me FOREVER to paint it all! 

Here it is after the first coat:

I ended up doing three coats all together. While I was letting the frame dry, I made up the chalk board paint. 
Seriously, don't buy chalk board paint. It's so expensive and making your own is super easy, and you can make it in any color you want!

Mix one cup of paint with two tablespoons of the non sanded grout. Stir it all up until it's well blended. The paint will still be slightly lumpy and thicker than regular paint.

Brush your paint onto your board; once you start brushing it out, the paint will start to smooth out. I did two coats of the chalk board paint.
After you let everything dry you'll want to lightly sand the surface of your chalk board. Then take a piece of chalk and lightly rub it across your entire board. Wipe off the residue with a lightly damp sponge. This will help to condition your board.

Then put together your frame and chalk board and draw away


Other than all the hand painting on the frame, this project was so easy and really inexpensive, I even had enough chalk board paint left over to paint a few other things too!


No comments:

Post a Comment