Sunday, November 20, 2011

Denver: Day 1-3


So this last week we spent a little family time in Denver. Drew was presenting his paper at the ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers). Since OSU was paying for his flight, hotel, and food, all we had to do was pay for my flight there since Claire can fly free on my lap. 
I was pretty excited to get away for a little bit, but also very nervous about flying with a baby. I didn't want to be the mom with the screaming child on the airplane that everyone is shooting dirty looks at! Luckily Claire is biggest trooper ever!
We left Thursday afternoon around 4:00 pm and Claire was way overdue for a nap. I mean this girl usually only stays up for an hour at a time, maybe two hours max. By the time we got to the airport she had been up for about three hours....YIKES! We finally got her to fall asleep in the carseat right as we arrived, so I was hoping she would nap till we boarded the plane. Well we get the check in counter and wouldn't you know it, something was already going wrong. Before we left I researched high and low what all I needed to bring for Claire to fly, stroller limits, formula limits through TSA; I mean everything! So we get the counter at the guy asks for Claire's birth certificate. Um, what? So I tell him I didn't bring it. How about a shot record he asks. Seriously? Everything I found online said minors did not need ID. Well I guess because she is under 2 and flying free they needed to verify her age. So I show Claire to the guy. I mean, hello, does she look like she's two?? He says fine, and we continue on our journey.

Then we hit TSA. If getting through security isn't bad enough by yourself, just add a infant and all her stuff. Then they tell me, oh yeah, see your nice sleeping baby that needs a nap REALLY bad? Yeah your going to need to wake her up and take her out of her carseat. Gah!
So we send the carseat with the stroller base through, then we had to remove the formula since it was over the 3 oz rule. Then Drew forgot to take off his belt so he has to go through again. So I'm at the end trying to hold Claire and gather all our crap together. Then Drew gets through the medal detector but get randomly selected for the shoe test. I finally get my husband back and get all of our stuff together and head to the gate. 
We hang out for a while and I try to get Claire to nap with no success. We flew Southwest which was great since they do family boarding and have no assigned seats, so we were guaranteed to sit together. It was hilarious watching people pick seats once we were seated. People would see your open seat, then see the baby and keep walking. But alas it was a full flight and someone had to sit by us. He was actually really nice and thought Claire was pretty adorable. It took a while of rocking and offering a paci but Claire finally fell asleep in my arms without any crying. First flight=Success! 

We finally got to the hotel and we were all ready for bed. The hotel was great (we stayed the Hyatt Regency), they even had a little roll away crib with bedding for Claire and provided a bunch of little travel size baby accessories (diaper cream, baby powder, wash cloth, and baby wash). Claire actually only ended up sleeping in the crib the first night (more on that later). Even in a new place she was a sleeping champ! She would sleep until about 5 or 6 am, eat, and then go back to sleep.

The second day we had breakfast with the rest of the grad students from Drew's office and explored the city a little bit. Claire also surprised us with sitting up by herself for the first time. It was only for about 10-15 seconds before she would tilt to one side or fold completely in half and have her feet in her mouth, but an accomplishment none the less.


We ended day two with a happy hour dinner at The Yard House. If your ever in Denver, you have to go there; so yummy! And the 130 beers on tap sure made all the boys happy.

Our third day (Saturday) was pretty relaxed. We went to dinner with our friend Courtney who lives in Boulder, then came back to the hotel and went to bed.
Oh yeah, and remember how I said Claire only slept in her crib one night? Well we are terrible parents and made her sleep in the bathroom. Because Claire goes to bed so early we would have had to sit in silence in the dark in our room for the rest of the night, so the only solution we could come up with was wheel her stroller (with the bassinet attachment) into the bathroom so we could close to the door. So there you go, there is my bad parenting confession :) 

More pictures from the rest of the week later!

2 comments:

  1. It's crazy what they make you do flying with an infant. I have never heard of needing a birth certificate! Oh and we put my nephew in a hotel bathroom before... makes complete sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think putting Claire in the bathroom makes sense too! Smart thinking -- must remember when we have kids. :)

    ReplyDelete