Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Coloring Book and Crayon Carrier Tutorial



So I mentioned earlier that my lack of posting was due to some serious sewing time. One of the things I was working on was my nephews Christmas present. I've been wanting to make something like this for a  while now, and when my sister in law told me that our nephew liked to color I knew this was the perfect opportunity.
I didn't have a pattern for it, so I had to kinda make it up as I went along.
(I figured it's okay to post it before Christmas since my nephew is 3 and probably isn't reading many blogs!)

I sketched out what I wanted, did a little measuring, and started cutting my pieces. I used a regular old coloring book, so the measurements below are based off of that. If you have something bigger or smaller you'll want to adjust your sizes. Also, I made the straps at the length I thought looked best, but you can customize this whole carrier to your liking!

Here is what you'll need:
1 Button
8" elastic
Coloring Book
Crayons
1/2 yard fabric for the inside 
1/2 yard fabric for the outside
(I chose to use two coordinating cottons, but you could use 1 yard of all the same fabric. Also, you could use cotton, denim, or upholstery fabric for this project)
1/2 Batting or stiff fabric for in between the layers
(I actually didn't use this and now I wish I would have. Your carrier will still work but it will be a little floppier) 


You'll want to cut your two fabrics to be 18.5" x 13"
Choose one of your fabrics to be the carrying handles. Cut two strips to be 8" x 3"
Then cut a strip to be 9" x 13". This will used as the pocket for your coloring book
Cut another strip to be 4" x 13". This is the strip for your crayon pocket.

Take your 9" x 13" and your 4" x 13" strip and fold them in half, wrong sides together and iron.


Choose one of your 18.5" x 13" pieces to be your interior fabric.
Take your inside fabric, fold it in half and iron to crease the center. 

Pin the open edge of your 9" x 13" strip that you just ironed in half about 1/4" from the seam. Sew at a 1/4".

After you have sewn the strip down, press it upwards with your iron.


Now pin the open edges of your 4" x 13" piece that you ironed in half on the other side of your crease. Sew at 1/4" seam and press upwards just like you did for the coloring book sleeve.

On your crayon pocket side use a ruler to find the center and mark with a pin.

Measure in 1" increments from the center until you reach the end. Mark these with pins. Sew vertically from the top of the crayon pocket to the bottom to create sleeves for the crayons.

Take your 8" x 3" strips for the handles and fold in half, right sides together. Sew the long side together but leave the short ends open. Flip right side out and iron flat.

Place the open ends of your handles at the top of your inside fabric. In between your handles on one side place your 4" piece of elastic. Place your exterior fabric on top of the inside fabric, ride sides together. (If you are going to use batting to stabilize the carrier you will want to place it on top of your exterior fabric and then sew all three layers together.)
Sew the layers together using a 1/4" seam, remembering to leave a 2" to 3"opening to turn the carrier right side out. I like to mark my stopping point with double pins.
 

 Flip your carrier right side out. Tuck in the fabric around the opening to match your seam allowance and press. Press around the entire carrier, then top stitch. Fold your elastic over and mark where to sew your button. After you finish sewing your button on, fill the carrier with crayons and a coloring book; your done!






2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that the crayons are on the inside. I saw one of these the other day with crayons on the outside, and they kept falling out.

    A very nice, clear tutorial! Great job, Ashleigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! You are so creative! I bet he will love it!

    ReplyDelete