Friday, February 17, 2012

A Yummy Mistake


If you've never eaten dinner at my parents house, or had the pleasure of eating something they've made, your seriously missing out. 
They are the best cooks ever

For my baby shower, and then again for Christmas my mom made {these} amazing salted caramels. We were going to a friends house for dinner and I thought I would try to make these delicious treats. I called my mother (which I tend to do a lot when cooking, or heck even when grocery shopping) and asked for all her secrets. Her biggest advice was to be careful to not over cook them. Well lets just say I was a little over careful and definitely under cooked them.

Here is my really runny salted caramel

Well I decided that I didn't want to waste the caramel (it was still really yummy!), so I used my runny carmel to make some other sweet treats.



I still had more caramel left so I made some brownies and swirled the rest of the salted caramel in it.

 This is the brownie recipe I use:

(I omited the chocolate chips this time since I was using the salted caramel. Also, this recipe half's really well)

  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
  2. Combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, until thoroughly blended.
  3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture until blended. Stir in the chocolate morsels. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish.
  4. Bake in preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove, and cool pan on wire rack before cutting.


1 comment:

  1. I agree...your parents are the best cooks....but their daughter is pretty good, too :) Glad you didn't let the caramel go to waste...of course, the caramel would go straight to my waist :)

    ReplyDelete