Saturday, June 23, 2012

1st Birthday Party: Circus Theme!


Well we made it. Claire is out like a light as I type this, she is one partied out little girl!

We had about 35 people (almost all family!) over for Claire's birthday today. It was crazy trying to pack everyone into our tiny downstairs but I'm so glad everyone was there to come celebrate our girl!

Months ago as I was scouring the internet for party themes, I found some adorable circus/ carnival parties and I was sold. Thank goodness for pinterest, I found so many great ideas on there!

I opted to buy the design for the invites and print them myself. It's usually cheaper, and buying through etsy is a great way to support small businesses! I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I bought a custom invite plan through Printable Candee Designs. She did such a great job! I sent her a few ideas and the first design she came with was exactly what I wanted. The frame cuts it off a little bit, but you get the idea :)

The cupcakes!
I found the cupcake cups on Zulily, so I'm not sure where you can buy them.

 I wanted to try to stick with circus-y type foods, so we served peanuts, pretzels, animal crackers and dip, mini pigs in a blanket, and french fries.

I saw this adorable idea to serve "french fry shooters" on pinterest. Well if there is anything I've learned from pinterest, it's that not everything on there is as great at it looks. One, mine did not look at cute as the ones I saw, two, when french fries get cold they are not yummy, and three, french fries sitting in ketchup get soggy. Yes, I know, I should have thought about all the before but I was caught up in crazy party planning mode.


The punch for the mini elephants is Martha Stewart, but I was too cheap to buy the $14 punch that I knew I would use once, so instead I bought 50 of each color for a grand total of $3 including shipping from Sanwayna's Little Creations on Etsy. 

The paper straws are from Amazon, and the pink cups are from Party City.

I made little glass cups for the kids; here is Claire drinking from hers right before she dumped the rest of it on the floor :)

 The party favors!
The tin buckets are from the dollar section at target, and I used leftover vinyl from Claire's easter basket to cut the kids names with the cricut. The small pinwheels I found at the dollar tree in a pack of three.


I can't believe it's been a whole year! She sure grew up fast.


Claire was so excited to wake up from nap and find the Hammagren's here! She chased Luke around for a good half hour. Boy crazy already...

Playing with Uncle Justin and Aunt Riley

She was surprisingly very dainty with her smash cake. She loves sweets so I figured once she got a taste she would dig right in, but she was content to just lightly dip her finger in the frosting and eat that.



Opening her presents; she is one spoiled little girl!

Grandpa Arnold built the doll cradle you see below, and Grandma Arnold made her baby doll a quilt and diaper bag to go with it!



Claire got her first car! Grandma and Grandpa Hanson found this pedal car and painted it to match the colors of Great Grandpa Hanson's Chevy Impala. She can't quit reach the pedals yet but she already loves just sitting in it!

Even after everyone left Claire was playing hard! She especially loved banging together her new pots and pans from Uncle Steve, Aunt Denee, and cousin Henri. She got some amazing presents (including the most adorable pair of Tom's you have ever seen and a zoo membership from my parents!)
We are so blessed by all the gifts but most of all we are grateful for all the amazing family members and friends that have been part of Claire's life for the last year. It meant so much to us to have so many people here to celebrate her life.



No comments:

Post a Comment