Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Baked Potato Soup: A Pinterest Recipe


I love Pinterest, especially for finding new recipes, but there have many times that it's let me down. Everything always looks so yummy in the pictures, but sometimes that isn't always the case. Luckily I have also tried a lot of recipes that we've loved and have since become staples in our household; crockpot baked potato soup is one of them.

I love soups, especially how easy they are to throw together in crockpot, but I realized this winter that most of my soup recipes were tomato based, so in an effort to find something different I decided to try a baked potato soup. I was a litte wary at first, since my first go at this soup (with a different recipe) was a bland disaster, but this soup is so creamy and flavorful! 

We're actually having this soup tonight with homemade bread bowls; yummy!

Recipe and Picture Source: Mama Loves Food

A few notes:
I have done this soup with peeled potatoes and unpeeled potatoes. Personally I like it better without the peels, but Drew likes it with, so I think it's more of a personal preference. Also, this makes A LOT of soup, so I usually half this recipe and it's still enough for all three of us and for Drew to have leftovers. I have also found when cooking my potatoes on high in the crockpot, 6 hours is too long! I usually cook them on high for about 4 hours, but if you're going to be gone all day, 6 hours or longer on a low setting may work best.

Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Ingredients:
5 pounds russet potatoes, washed but NOT peeled. Diced into 1/2 inch(ish) cubes
1 medium/large yellow onion, diced
10 cloves of garlic, minced (if you use jarred, it's a 5 teaspoon equivalent)
64 ounces (8 cups) chicken stock or broth
16 oz cream cheese, softened (I use low fat)
1 tablespoon seasoned salt 
optional garnishes: crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, green onions

Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Directions:
Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning, and chicken stock to slow cooker.
Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
Add the softened cream cheese and puree soup with aimmersion blender until the cheese is incorporated and about half the soup is blended. (Alternately you could remove half the soup and the cream cheese to an upright blender, then re-incorporate).

*We don't have an immersion blender, so I have to do the blender method. A little messy but it works!*Stir well, top with your choice of garnishes & enjoy!

Yields about 10-12 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment