Saturday, August 29, 2015

Tucker's Birth Story


I meant to get this up earlier, but the combination of three kids, a week of cheer daily doubles, and then a week of stunt camps has put me back by almost 4 weeks! Oops!

As usual with birth stories, this is going to be long; sorry! If you want the short version here it is:
Tucker Jean Arnold
Born 8/2/2015 at 4:14am
8lbs 5 oz, 21" and 13.75" head


We were scheduled to be induced on Tuesday, August 4th, just a few days over 39 weeks. At my last doctor appointment I was at 3 cm and still about 70% effaced. The doctor kept saying she would be shocked if I actually made it to my induction date. I was fairly skeptical since with Hunter I walked around at 4cm and 90% effaced until 3 days before my due date.

I was nervous about being induced, as I had always gone into labor on my own with the other two, but in a way it was nice to know the date it would happen, and I could get grocery shopping done, the kids packed, and have everything ready.

On Saturday, August 1st, we woke up and took the kids for a walk to our local coffee shop and then walked home. Even after a long walk up the hill, I still didn't feel any contractions. That afternoon I met up with my friends Liberty and Jen in happy valley to have lunch and get pedicures to celebrate Jen finishing her board exams, and me being induced in a few days. It was so fun having a little girl time and getting our toes done, especially since Jen and I could no longer reach them!

After getting home we hung out around the house, I made dinner, and around 6:00pm as we were starting to get the kids ready for bed I started feeling contractions. I figured that as soon as I started doing something else, they would go away, as most of pre-labor contractions did. By the time we were doing our final tuck in at 7:00pm my contractions were still going and getting stronger. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I had this strange feeling like this was it, so we took a few last pictures together as a family of 4.

Last time as a family of 4!


After the kids were in bed I knew the true test of if my contractions were here to stay or not would be getting in the shower. Typically the warm water would make them stop, but not this time. The warm water actually seemed to make them stronger. I got out of the shower and had Drew call my parents to come over and be with the kids. We threw together our stuff (I had planned on doing all of this Monday before our induction) and by 8:00pm we were on our way to the hospital.

After getting checked in (to the last room available!) the nurse checked me and said I was about 4-5 cm and 70% effaced. I actually thought they were going to send me home since that wasn't much progress from where I was at my last appointment, but after some monitoring they started be on antibiotics (I tested positive for strep b) and we knew we were here to stay.
One last bump photo! 

After laboring for a few hours, and getting through my first full bag of antibiotics, the doctor came in around 11:45pm and we agreed on breaking my water, since in the past my labors have always stalled until my water broke. She checked me and I was at 6cm and about 80% effaced. Knowing that my contractions go from manageable to super painful after my water breaks, I decided to get my epidural before my water broke. They got the epidural placed around midnight, and the doctor came back to break my water at 12:30am.

The nurse and doctors suggested we try to get a little rest and let them know when I was feeling pressure. Drew and my mom tried to sleep for a while, but I actually had a really hard time sleeping. My epidural ended up being incredibly strong, which made it so I wasn't able to move at all, and I had a hard time sleeping because I was so uncomfortable but unable to shift positions. 

The nurse came in and checked me again around 1:30am and I was 8 cm and still about 80% effaced. I was super disappointed that things didn't seem to be going as quickly as they did last time. My contractions were showing up on the monitor about every 4 minutes or so, and I started getting worried that things were slowing down and they would want to start me on pitocin. The nurse told me not to worry, and that as long as the contractions were continuing to progress me, they didn't care how far apart they were.

Around 4:00am I started feeling some pressure and asked the nurse to come in and check me. Sure enough, she said I was 10cm, 100% effaced and ready to push! She grabbed the doctor and at 4:12am I started pushing, and 2 minutes later Tucker made his entrance at 4:14am!
Tears of happiness as we got to meet Tucker for the first time!

We got to snuggle our little guy for almost two hours before they took him to weigh and measure him. Our little baby yet, weighing in at 8lbs 5 oz and 20" long! 



He is the sweetest little guy and rounds out our family of 5 perfectly. We love you Tucker!


No comments:

Post a Comment